Job Description Virginia Commonwealth University is seeking candidates for 2 Graduate Assistant positions. Candidates will aid in all areas of strength and conditioning instruction with NCAA Division I athletes. Areas of responsibility in which the GA’s will collaborate with the Associate Athletic Director for Sports Performance and Student Athlete Wellness in order to gain knowledge and experience related to collegiate strength and conditioning programs include but are not limited to: flexibility, speed, agility, Olympic-style weightlifting, agility, supervision of team/individual workouts, administrative, and other duties as assigned.
Primary Responsibilities: - Develop and implement programs for, but not limited to, strength, conditioning, mobility and speed for 2-3 athletics teams to prepare them for competition in local, regional and national arenas
- Ensure the minimization of risk and severity of potential injuries through appropriate program design
- Collaborate with medical professionals on rehabilitation of student-athletes following any injuries
- Screen student-athletes for movement limitations and imbalances
- Instruction on the safe and correct execution of flexibility, plyometrics, Olympic lifts, and speed development exercises
- Maintain safe and effective equipment
- Knowledge of emergency procedures, including CPR and first aid
- Seek and utilize feedback from sport coaches as appropriate to continually improve sports performance program
- Administrative and other Responsibilities related to the Sports Performance Department
Qualifications: - Strength & Conditioning Coach Certified (SCCC) through the Collegiate Strength & Conditioning Coaches Association (CSCCa) OR Certified Strength and Conditioning Coach (CSCS) through the National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA) certification
- The Graduate Assistant must have practical knowledge of exercise technique instruction. Experience in a Division I Collegiate weight room setting preferred. Experience with the Olympic-style lifts is preferred. The GA candidate must have a genuine interest in pursuing a career in strength and conditioning and a willingness to learn.
Deadline: Applications accepted on an on-going basis until positions are filled. Deadline to apply for the Center for Sport Leadership Master Degree Program is April 15th, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for school ASAP.
How to Apply: Email a cover letter, resume and a list of three references to
Chris Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.